The Radisson Hotel - Fresno, California

Supreme Session 2005

Session Diary
Saturday, July 30 Sunday, July 31 Monday, August 1
Tuesday, August 2 Wednesday, August 3 Thursday, August 4
Friday, August 5 Saturday, August 6 Sunday, August 7

Saturday, July 30

Man, those little sharp edges
are tough on your feet

Well, it's not like I need a mirror to get my hair looking as bad as it usually does


Hey folks.  I hope all is going well with everyone out there in Job's Daughter Land.  It is about 11:30 a.m. here and I just finished posted an article on the Items Of Note Page.  We are getting ready to head to the airport to wing our way to beautiful Fresno, California for Supreme Session.  Well, actually that is not entirely true.  We will first wing our way to Dallas, Texas, where we will cool our heels for about 3 1/2 hours.  Then we will wing our way to Fresno, where, if all goes according to plan, we should arrive around 11:00 p.m. this evening.  Of course as many of you know, my Supreme Session Travel Adventures put that arrival time in serious jeopardy.  Let's just say that hopefully I will be in Fresno by this time tomorrow.

I am looking forward to getting to the hotel for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be to have a functional shower.  We are having our bathroom renovated here at home and things are a bit torn up right now.  You can check it out from the two pictures posted above.  Anyway, it will be nice to have a clean shower and all the nice amenities that go with it.  Anyway, I have as couple of last minute items to pack and then off we go.  I'll talk to you later.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well wonder of wonders, our plane actually arrived on time.  Of course it wouldn't be a trip to Supreme if something didn't go at least a little wrong somewhere along the line.  That happened at our layover in Dallas.  After disembarking from our plane, we had dinner at the Friday's in the Dallas Terminal.  It was very good, and surprisingly inexpensive for a restaurant in an airport.  After that we found a nice comfortable place in the lounge right next to the gate where our next plane was to be.  We sat and watched some old Lucy TV Shows on DVD on my computer.  About 45 minutes before the flight was to begin boarding, they announced that the gate had been moved from C8 to C31.  Well, not only was this 23 gates away, it was an entire building away.  We immediately began trudging towards the shuttle to take us to the next building.  We had to go up to the next level.  Well, as many of you know I am, in the words of Will Smith in the movie I Robot, "Uncomfortable with heights."  So, instead of going up the escalator, which stretched way up into the sky, I took the elevator.  Much, much better, right?  WRONG!  When I got to the top, I had to walk across a thin catwalk way up in the middle of the air in order to get to the area where the escalator was letting off it's riders.  Whoopie!  I looked like a tightrope walker who had had way too much coffee as I tiptoed across the catwalk.  Anyway, I finally got across, and we made the ride to our next gate, and boarded the plane in time for the departure.

When we got to Fresno, we took the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and had some wonderful company with some Jobies and adults from Wisconsin and Illinois.  Once we got to the hotel, I saw Fred Windbiel from British Columbia and Geri Kay Ryan from Illinois.  Of course when we checked in, my room is up on the fourth floor, and the Radisson is a hotel where the rooms are only accessible by using the balcony-like walkways from the elevators.  Then when we got to the room, the keys didn't work, so Mom Toni went back down to switch them while I stayed cowering on the balcony by the room.  What a sight . . . what a chicken.  I can only plead guilty to that.  Anyway, the hotel staff told us that we will be moved to the second floor tomorrow, but we shall see. Hopefully that will be the case.

I just answered some e-mails from some friends in Australia, David Kirk, the new Grand Secretary of Queensland, and Lorraine Helyer, the newly retired Grand Secretary of Queensland, as well as Melanie Strachan, the Grand Marshal of Queensland who is here at Session.  They are all wonderful folks and I hope to get back down under to pay them a return visit.

Well, it's about 1:20 a.m. here, and my body is still on St. Louis time where it is 3:20, so I guess I had better be getting to bed.  Talk to y'all later.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Sunday, July 31

Some of the Missouri Folks arrive at the hotel

Mom Toni poses at the Headquarters Hotel


After our late night last night, we both enjoyed sleeping in a bit.  We woke up around 8:00 a.m., and then had breakfast in the room.  Then we headed downstairs to find the registration desk.  We did find it after about a half-hour hike to the far reaches of the hotel.  Speaking of this hotel, for those of you who have been at the University Plaza, it is an exact copy of that hotel.   Anyway, we chatted with Dad Ken Smiley for a while and then took the hotel shuttle back to the airport to pick up our rental car (of course the rental car desk was closed by the time we flew into Fresno the night before).  Rose Miller and Michele Ann Fate from Kansas were taking back their rental car and asked if we could give them a ride back to the hotel.  We said sure and that we would meet them at the rental car desk at the airport.  We got to the airport, filled out all the paperwork and then waited for Rose and Michele Ann to show up . . . and waited . . . and waited.  Well, it turns out that they had gone the wrong way on the highway and didn't figure it out until, oh about San Diego . . . Okay, maybe they didn't make it quite that far south, but they did go quite a way before doubling back and meeting us at the airport.  We hooked up and then headed to a fantastic Mexican restaurant called Castillo's and had a wonderful lunch.  With the great food and even better company it was a really neat afternoon.

Then it was back to the hotel to get our new room.  We talked to the girl at the desk and she said it would be just a little bit.  We sat in the lobby talking to some of our friends from Queensland, which included their Grand Guardian, Elaine Gray, Associate Grand Guardian, Bill Tupou and his daughter, Grand Marshal Melanie Strachan, Elaine's Daughter and former Miss Queensland Sonya Gray as well as some other good friends..  While I am at it I need to send some shout outs to some good friends from Australia who have sent e-mails during the session, Reanna Nelson from Sunnybank and Garry and Leslie Wilson, the proud parents of Carmen Wilson, former Miss International Job's Daughter.  Glad to hear from them.  We had been sitting with the Queensland folks for a bit when we realized that the hotel staff still hadn't given us our new room.  Mom Toni went over to the desk and it seems the girl who had been helping us had gone home.  Hey, I can understand that.  The shift is over, now I can stay here longer and continue to work, or I can head for home, the swimming pool, and my friends . . . Hmmm, now which one am I going to pick.  The rest of the staff picked up the ball however and we got our new room on the lower floor so now I can stop my whining about being afraid of heights.  Whoopie!

That evening Mom Toni and I basically just tooled around town, getting the lay of the land and checking out some of the sights.  We wound up at a really neat entertainment and shopping complex where we had a wonderful dinner at the World Sports Restaurant where we also watched the Brazilian Soccer championships.  Then we went to the movie theater and saw The Wedding Crashers.  It was pretty funny.  After that we headed back to the hotel and hit the sack as we have an early call tomorrow for the Hearst Castle tour.  Talk to you later.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Monday, August 1

Mom Toni at the beautiful indoor pool
at the Hearst Castle

The Missouri Folks perform the Happy
Anniversary Song at the Hike Fajita Fiesta


We arose at the crack of dawn to catch the bus for the Hearst Castle Tour.  There was another group waiting for a different tour and after they went to their bus, I realized that I was all alone.  Yep, you guessed it, I was at the wrong door.  Mom Toni came and got me and we made it to the bus on time to hit the road for the long ride to San Simeon, California to see the Hearst Castle.

For those of you who don't know, the Hearst Castle was one of the many homes of William Randolph Hearst, who was a major newspaper publisher.  The Castle is an amazing conglomeration of styles, ancient furnishings and decorations, and massive scale.  It rests on the top of a mountain that requires a 5 mile bus ride from the visitor center to reach, and includes over 180 steps needed to reach the main house.  For those of you who know me, you know that my knees and back resemble a battleground where the home team didn't do so well, so you can well imagine what I thought about all of those steps.  Luckily we stopped and viewed several things along the way so it wasn't too bad.  We had a great time with all of our friends on the tour, which included fellow Missourians Phyllis and Charlie Boehme, Emily Schonaerts, John and Colleen Vezeau, Lon and Ginny Goede, and Donna Goede.

After we arrived back at the hotel, we saw Heather Reardon, who was the Supreme Bethel Honored Queen during Dad Bill Dinkmeyers year as Associate Supreme Guardian, and when I was Associate Supreme Bethel Guardian.  It was great catching up on things with her.  After that we headed to the HIKE Fajita Fiesta for dinner and some fun times.  They had a an auction for HIKE that did quite well, and some of the Missouri Folks led the entire room in a rousing rendition of Happy Anniversary in honor of the 20th Anniversary of the HIKE Fund.  It was quite fun.  To see a movie of this, Click Here.  Be mindful that this is a very large file and depending on your internet access speed, may take some time to download.  You must have quicktime to view this movie.

Following the dinner and program, we were talking to Mom Patti Brand, who informed us that Miss Missouri Daniella had slipped and fallen in the bathroom.  She was okay, but had still taken a bit of a bump.  Well, wouldn't you know it, but when we were all walking back to the main part of the hotel, guess who took a spill?  You guessed it, Mom Patti.  She was okay, but as had Daniella, she took quite a bump.  Dad Brand back hope better watch out, he might be next.

We talked for a while with Liz Alderson, who was our Supreme Bethel Senior Princess last year and her mom, who is the newly elected Grand Marshal of Nebraska.  We also talked with Sharon Schaeffer, who was one of our Supreme Officers last year.  That is one of the great things about Supreme Session, getting the chance to catch up with all of your friends from around the Job's Daughter world.  Unfortunately sometimes the news is not always good.  Bill Hickey, PAGG of Colorado told me that my good friend Randy Trullinger, PAGG of Colorado is under the weather.  Hey Randy, we are all pulling and praying for you, so get well soon.  We need you here at Supreme next year.

I finished the evening off by burning some tracks from Alice In Wonderland onto a CD for Charlotte Brunell of Maryland who is in charge of the Ladybug's Tea Party programs tomorrow.  These promise to be both entertaining and educational.

I have a special shout-out to Carmen Wilson Jenkinson who sent me an e-mail this evening.  She also sends shout-outs to all of her friends here at Session, as well as all of the Past Miss International Job's Daughters she misses at this time of year.

That's about it for now.  I'm going to head for bed and watch a little TV.  Good night folks.  TTYL

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Tuesday, August 2

The Mad Hatter and the Ladybug welcome
us to the Ladybug's Tea Party

My special guest author Emily in her cool
sunglasses from the Elephant Bar Restaurant


Hey folks.  I hope you are all doing well.  We started this morning with the Ladybug's Tea Party.  While we were on our way to the program, we ran into Lon Goede who was with a group at 9:00 a.m. that was still waiting for the bus to take them on their 8:00 a.m. tour.  Obviously things don't always run smoothly at Supreme Session.  I hope they finally got underway.  Still, the California/Oregon folks are doing a great job and are to be commended.  Supreme Session is a huge operation, and getting things to run smoothly is a nearly impossible job.

The Ladybug's Tea Party was both a fun and informative program.  Several folks were dressed up in costumes from Alice in Wonderland, and served a "tea."  Actually it was pictures of tea and desserts, and we all got them and went into the meeting room.  After that, Larry Newman presented a fantastic program about "at risk' kids, ways to identify them, things to do to try to help, and what is and is not possible with these types of youth.  Mr. Newman did a great job and I heartily recommend him to anyone wanting to develop a programs such as this.  This evening he will be presenting a program for the girls, and I hope they find it as productive as the adults did their session.

Following the tea party, Mom Toni and I went to the Supreme Officers and Deputies luncheon.  We shared a table with Ken and Marilee Smiley and Fred and Louise Windbiel.  We had a wonderful luncheon, and discussed some of Louise and Ken's plans for the upcoming year.  After the luncheon I came back to the room to update the diary, and to put my feet up for a bit before the Men's Masonic Meeting this evening.  Hey, after climbing 180 stairs yesterday at the Hearst Castle Tour, the knees and back are really throbbing today.

After resting in the room, I looked at the clock on my computer, and it said 4:00 p.m.  I was supposed to be downstairs ready for the bus to go to the Masonic Meeting at 4:30 so I took a quick shower, got on my coat and tie and headed downstairs.  When I got down there I noticed that I was the only one present.  Hmmm, something wasn't quite right.  I saw Fred Windbiel of BC sitting and talking with some friends, and he was very casually dressed, much too casually dressed for a Lodge Meeting, so I went over there and said I was ready for the meeting.  He asked my why was I down there so early?  It hit me then.  The clock on my computer is still set for Central Daylight Savings Time, and here we are in Pacific Daylight Savings Time, so I was two hours early.  As Homer Simpson would say, "Doh!"  Well, at least I wasn't late.  I ran into another gentlemen who came down dressed about 3:30, but he didn't misread his watch, he was just told the wrong time (although he had a sneaky suspicion that it was either so he wouldn't be late, or else so his wife could get an earlier start on her shopping).  Oh well, that's that way it goes sometimes.  Like I said, at least I wasn't late.  I took the chance then to get around to all the Ways and Means tables as well as the Supreme Bethel and Miss International tables and visited for a bit.  Then I had a nice talk with Pauline Pearse and Melanie Strachan of Queensland.  We talked about a variety of subjects, the most important of which concerned Tootsie Rolls, which are Pauline's favorite candy (It is Mom Toni's favorite candy as well) and which is not available in Australia.  Every time she comes to Supreme, she always takes a big load back with her down under.  Sort of like Smokey and the Bandit.  Hey, I can see it now . . . Come see the new exciting adventure movie about Tootsie Roll smugglers in Australia, Pauline and the Bandit, coming soon to a theater near you.  Hey, we might have the hit of the season here.  You never know.

I am sending a special shout-out to Rick Snyder, PAGG of Pennsylvania who sent a nice e-mail.  Rick's daughter Ashley was Pennsylvania's Daughter HIKE Coordinator during the time Mom Shirley Bryngelson and I made our Official Visit there.  We had a great time while we were there and have some very fond memories of the visit.  That's about it for the time being.  I am off to the Masonic Meeting for real now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have just returned from the Masonic Meeting, but before I tell you about that, I am turning the keyboard over to Emily Schonaerts, Chaplain #43, for her take on her trip to dinner with Mom Toni, Mom Boehme, Mom Goede and Mama Donna:

Well, first we all squeezed into the car. When we got in we were off. We had some trouble getting on the road, but we got there. We decided to go to the Elephant Bar Restaurant. It was real neat. I saw a giraffe and its little baby, and an elephant body and its foot. When we got our table we ordered our food, and waited. I got a tiger foot that held crayons, and monkey glasses. When I put them on everybody started laughing at me. When we got our food I ate fast so I could finish my picture, and to draw green eyelashes on my glasses. When everybody finished eating I ate my ice-cream and we headed off. When we got back to the hotel I had to go to a tea party. When I got in to the room I went right back out. I went to the restaurant next door to the tea party  with Andie Flanery, Sara G., Danella, Lauren Mack, and Jacklyn W. We had a drink and  dessert. After awhile we played a game with flip-flop cards. Then I headed up to my room and waited for Dad Boehme so we could go swimming. When  he arrived we went swimming. When I got back there was a box of doughnuts hanging on the door. I took a shower and headed to the Underwood's room in a shower cap and monkey glasses. We talked and I started typing my long report. Now I will turn the keyboard back to Dad Ashley.

Thanks to Emily for that great report.  I have just returned from the Masonic Meeting at Las Palmas Lodge.  It was a very nice evening.  We boarded the bus about 4:30 p.m. and headed over to the Lodge.  The Missouri crew included John Vezeau, Charlie Boehme, Doc Howe, Lon Goede and yours truly.  When we got to the Lodge we had some appetizers followed by a wonderful steak dinner.  The steak was as good as it was in any restaurant I've ever eaten in.  Congratulations to the kitchen staff who did such a magnificent job.  Then we had our Lodge Meeting where were viewed a California Fellowcraft Degree.  One of the things I have really enjoyed at all the Supreme Sessions I have attended  is getting to see the differences and similarities in the Masonic Work in the various jurisdictions.  You can see how everything is really the same, yet count the number of differences that give it the local flavor.  The Masons who did the ritual work this evening were all very good and were afforded a rousing round of applause at the conclusion of the meeting.  After that we all piled back into the bus and headed back to the hotel.  I came up to the room, Dad Boehme and Emily came over and, well, you know the rest.

I have some special shout-outs for Christy Blaisdell, the Grand Bethel Junior Princess of Pennsylvania, as well as Brian Thompson, ABG #2, Queensland, and his wife Margaret, PHQ #13 Queensland, and daughter Emma-Kate, PHQ #2 and HQ #23 Queensland for their nice notes regarding the Session Diary and the Missouri Website.  Thanks guys, I truly appreciate it.

Well, that's about it.  It is 1:00 a.m. here (It really is, because my computer clock says 3:00 a.m.) so I had better hit the sack.  Thanks for reading, I'll TTYL.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Wednesday, August 3

Mom Shirley cuts up during the Formal Opening

The Closing Ceremony at the Formal Opening

Hey everybody, how are things going?  Here they are going fine.  It's time to get up and at 'em.  We have the first Business Session of the SGC today, and then later the Men of Job Luncheon and this evening the Formal Opening, so it looks like it's going to be another full day.  Before I head out the door I have some shout-outs for some folks who have sent some very nice notes concerning the Supreme Diary.  Julie Emberson, PHQ & BG, #66 Illinois, who was the GBHQ at the same time my daughter Kim was GBHQ of Missouri: Ian Milne, ABG #4 Queensland, a very fine gentleman from down under who I was privileged to visit with when I was in Australia; Judy Dickson, PGG, GS of Kansas, my good friend from the great state of Kansas: and last but not least, Mom Linda Sinley, PGG-MO, who with her husband Randy, AGG-MO, will soon be moving to Phoenix, Arizona.  Our loss will be Arizona's gain, but we will always remain good friends.  Hello to all of them and thank you so much for your very nice notes.

The first Business Session got underway about 9:00 a.m.  Mrs. Jeannine Hinman, SG, and Mr. Bob Thurman, ASG, and their corps of officers entered the room and took their places and the meeting began.  Basically there were some introductions as well as a few committee reports.  We broke for lunch a bit after 11:00.  Then I headed off to the Men of Job Luncheon.

We all boarded the bus and headed over to the Fresno Memorial Auditorium that housed the Hall of Valor, which is dedicated to the Armed Forces of the United States.  We all had a box lunch, and then the tour guides told us about the various exhibits in the building.  The setting was really inspirational, and you got a real feel of the various conflicts that the United States has been a part of.  There was a multimedia presentation on World War II that was very well done.  Then we all got a chance to wander around all of the exhibits and study them a bit closer.  Finally we all piled in the bus and headed back to the hotel.

Then we were off to the Formal Opening.  It was held at the Sellend Arena just across the street from the Radisson Hotel.  A lot of people thought it was a bit warm in the hall but I didn't think it was all that bad.  The Supreme Officers were all introduced and took their places.  The Grand Guardians and Associate Grand Guardians for 2005-2006 then paraded around the hall, and we all cheered as Mom Boehme and Dad Vezeau passed by.  Then the Past Supreme Guardians and Past Associate Supreme Guardians were introduced and escorted to the East.  We were all seated on the stage and viewed the rest of the opening from there.  Mom Shirley Bryngelson and I were seated together, and as you can see from the picture above, we had a fun evening.  The opening contained the usual events such as the Flag Ceremony and the Bible Ceremony.  Emily Schonaerts, #43 and Daniella Brand, #47 took part in the Flag Ceremony. 

The President of the HIKE Board, Mike James, gave his report and named the people (members and others) who raised $1000.00 or more.  Those from Missouri included Stephanie Crabtree, Kristen Goodman, Daniella Brand and Katie Underwood.  Then Janet Dryburgh gave the HIKE Canada Report and Melanie Strachan gave the HIKE Australia Report.  It was neat to hear about the HIKE Activities from other countries.

The Scholarship Chairman announced the Supreme Scholarships, and then the Necrology Ceremony was held.  Sara Glover, #19, Emily Schonaerts #43, and Lauren Mack, #43.  This was a very emotional ceremony as Missouri's Bill Dinkmeyer, Bob Hudson and Charles Chaney were named.

After that the Formal Opening came to a close and we all headed back to the hotel to watch the mad dash for the elevators.  I sat in the lobby and watched the devastation caused by 99,000 people trying to use 3 elevators.  Well, maybe there weren't that many, but it was still pretty impressive.  Kind of like trying to put 10 pounds of taters in a 5 pound sack.

Also at the formal opening, Colleen Vezeau ran into Heather Reardon, who was the Supreme Bethel Honored Queen the year that Dad Dinkmeyer was Associate Supreme Guardian and I was her Associate Supreme Bethel Guardian.  I will let her take it from here:

The Evening of the Formal Opening, I ran across a young lady. This young lady noticed my name badge and saw that I was from Missouri. I was asked by her if I knew the Dinkmeyer family. I told her, yes. This young lady told me her name, "Heather Reardon." Heather informed me that she was Supreme Bethel HQ during his term. Heather wants to me tell the Family she says hello and how special Dad Bill was to her and everyone in the Job's Family. Heather asked how his wife is doing, I told Heather that Bill's wife came to Grand Session for a presentation.

Thanks, Colleen.  Heather was, and still is, a very special young lady.  She will be getting married soon, and her fiancé is a very lucky fellow to be able to marry a girl like her.  She really loves Job's Daughters and was especially fond of Dad Dinkmeyer.

I have another shout-out for Mom Kathy Rodemacher, PBG #19, GT #1, who sent a very nice note about the Diaries.  She also sends us word that her daughter, Katie Rodemacher, GBSP-MO, has bronchitis.  Get well soon, Katie.

Well, that's about it for now.  We have the Missouri Breakfast tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. so I had better get to bed a bit earlier than last night.  TTYL.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Thursday, August 4

Miss Missouri Daniella opens her present

Chelsey Galbraith of BC is crowned as the
new Miss International Job's Daughter

Good morning everybody.  How are y'all doing this grand and glorious day . . . Okay, is that chipper enough for 5:30 a.m.  We had our Missouri Breakfast this morning at 6:00 a.m. so of course that meant rolling out at 5:30.  That's not so bad . . . if you are a bird.  Anyway, the Missouri Delegation took over the restaurant in the hotel for our breakfast.  We had a wonderful selections of breakfast items, and everyone seemed hungry as they all chowed down.  Then our Grand Guardian, Mom Boehme, presented our GBHQ Andie with a clown doll, and then we all wished our Miss Missouri Daniella good luck in the Miss International Pageant, and Mom Boehme presented her with a Precious Moments Figurine.  After that we all talked for a while, and then most went back to their rooms, probably to catch a quick nap before the rest of the day's events start up.

I'm sending a shout-out to Amber Volner Marsolek, PHQ and Miss International Job's Daughter 1997-1998, who sent a nice note about the Supreme Diary.  She is a teacher, and is expecting a new addition to the family  in about 2 months.  Congratulations to her and her soon to be Jobie-To-Bee  I must also send shout-outs to Kim Underwood, BG #12, Laurie Lenhardt, GDoE #43 and Michele Karmeier, GS #44, who have been IM'ing me during the week.  Thanks a bunch, guys.

Following the morning Business Session, we went to the Past Grand's Luncheon.  Besides myself, those from Missouri in attendance were Doc Howe, Lon & Ginny Goede, John & Colleen Vezeau, Phyllis Boehme, and Toni Underwood.  We had a great time.  Poor Lon, he didn't get to eat any dessert as he is diabetic.  Marlene went ahead and ate hers anyway, while I managed to get a diabetic fruit plate for dessert.

Then it was back to the business session.  The 2008 Supreme Session Arrangements Committee gave a presentation on the 2008 Supreme Session (wasn't that a surprise :)  It will be in Madison, Wisconson from July 27 - August 2, 2008.  The presentation was a lot of fun and the Wisconsin-Maryland delegations did a fantastic job.

After the business session, Mom Toni and I came back to the room.  I was very tired and just crashed.  Man that felt good.  This always seems to happen when I am travelling to different time zones.  I run and run until I finally just wear out, then I crash and nap for a couple of hours and when I wake up, my body is on local time.  Whoopie, just in time to head back to CDT on Sunday.  Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Then it was on to the big event for the day, the Miss International Pageant.  It was a really cool pageant that had a Hollywood theme.  The Master of Ceremonies was Most Worshipful Brother Howard Kirkpatrick, Past Grand Master of California, and he did a wonderful job.  Retiring Miss IJD Teirnee Childers helped with the announcing chores, and she also did a great job.  Our own Miss Missouri Daniella Brand was contestant #3, and was very beautiful as she stepped into the spotlight.  She moved with charm and grace, and answered the question posed of her in fine fashion.  The introduction of the 33 candidates took well over an hour, so by the time the announcements of the Ritual & Essay winners and then the finalists were made, the audience and the contestants were more than ready.  Unfortunately the tabulation of the scores took quite a while, so MWB Kirkpatrick and Teirnee told jokes, and gave trivia tidbits for the next 15 minutes or so.  The winner of the Spoken Ritual Contest was Chelsey Galbraith of British Columbia, and the winner of the Written Ritual Contest was Angela Osburn of Illinois.  Angela also won the essay contest and read her extremely well-written work to a rousing round of applause.  Then Miss Congenialtiy was announced and it was Chelsey Galbraith again.

The 11 Semi-Finalists were announced, and they were Elizabethann de Leon-Maestas of Oklahoma, Ashley Newton of Minnesota, Sarah Deisz of Virginia, Jenny Oakes of Wisconsin, Melissa Bradshaw of Queensland, Laura Holley of California, Chelsey Galbraith of British Columbia, Breanna Wilbur of Washington, Allison Stains of Pennsylvania, Jessica Schollenberger of Ohio, and Angela Osburn of Illinois.  Then each one in turn was asked the final question and all gave fantastic answers.

Teirnee gave her retiring remarks and made her final walk as Miss International.  She was given a standing ovation.  Then it was time to name the 4 Runners-Up.  They were: 4th Runner-Up: Sarah Deisz of Virginia, 3rd Runner-Up: Jenny Oakes of Wisconsin, 2nd Runner-Up: Angela Osburn of Illinois, 1st Runner-Up: Laura Holley of California.  Then the new Miss International Job's Daughter was announced, and it was Chelsey Galbraith of British Columbia.  The crown erupted with applause and the Past Miss Internationals present came onstage to symbolically pass the crown to Chelsey.  Teirnee invested Chelsey with her sash, robe and crown, and then Chelsey made her first walk as Miss International, and she also was afforded a standing ovation.  The Vice Supreme Guardian, Louise Windbeil, also of BC, and the Vice Associate Supreme Guardian Ken Smiley of Michigan came onstage and hugged their soon to be traveling companion.

Following the pageant, we all came back to the hotel and talked for a bit.  Then we all headed for our rooms, tired but enthused about Job's Daughters after that wonderful pageant.  Congratulation To Chelsey, and congratulations to our own Daniella for doing such a wonderful job.

 I'm sending some special shout-outs to Tawnya Schultz, PGBHQ-Oregon, Donna Koyn, GT #32, and Carrie Curry, PGBHQ of Illinois for sending very nice notes about the Supreme Diary.  Thanks a bunch.  It really helps to have such encouraging response.  I truly appreciate it.

It think that I am going to hit the sack, although after my nap this afternoon I am not really all that tired.  Oh well, I reckon I'll watch a move for a while before I finally go down for the night.  Thanks for reading.  I'll talk to you guys tomorrow.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Friday, August 5

Doc Howe and Mom Boehme catch up
on their Z's

Meghan Garibay is Installed as the new
Supreme Bethel Honored Queen

G'day folks.  Shout-outs this morning go to Ruth Turpin, PBG #29, Marci Key, PGG, and Leslie Goodyear, PGG-KS for their very nice e-mails regarding the Supreme Diaries.  Thanks to them and to all who are reading and enjoying Supreme Session through my eyes . . . my nearsighted eyes that can't see very well because I lost my reading glasses.  Oh well, it wouldn't be Supreme Session if I didn't lose something.

We are up and at em', and are headed to the business session for the Election of Officers and Trustees.  I will try to report back around midday with the names of the new kids on the block.  If I don't manage to do that, I will check in this evening.  Talk to you later.

Hey guys, just a quick check in with some results for you.  In the Supreme Bethel Drawing, Meghan Garibay of Nevada was selected as the new SBHQ.  Sara Glover of Bethel #19 was selected as Supreme Bethel Representative to Sao Paulo, Sarah Duing-Davis of Bethel #36 was selected as Supreme Bethel Representative to New Mexico and Emily Schonaerts of Bethel #43 was selected as the Supreme Bethel Representative to California.  In the Supreme Council Elections, the results were as follows:

Supreme Guardian Louise Windbiel, British Columbia
Associate Supreme Guardian Ken Smiley, Michigan
Vice Supreme Guardian Denise Noonan, Indiana
Vice Associate Supreme Guardian Tom Sapp, Illinois
Supreme Guide Janine Coley, Wisconsin
Supreme Inner Guard Mike Hoglund, Maryland
Supreme Marshal Sue Cadis, Arizona
Supreme Outer Guard Bob Clore, Virginia

The new members of the Board of Trustees are Rod Haney of California and Shelly Cole of Utah.  Congratulations to all of them.

In addition to the elections, there were the usual numerous reports that were given.  Mom Marlene Frakes and I gave our reports on the SNE-Online and the Supreme Website respectively.  Below are our reports:

Report of the JDI Webmaster

The Supreme Website has become a source of pride with it’s up to the minute detailing of activities in the world of Job’s Daughters, so in that spirit we now present this special weather report on the wonderful “slightly warm” weather that California is now experiencing. It is hot. How hot is it? Well, the other day I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking. It seems now that the birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground. The best parking places are determined by shade instead of distance. Hot water now comes out of both taps. You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron. You discover that it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car. You discover you can get sunburned through your tour bus window. Your biggest fear while walking to some of the events is "What if I fall down and cook to death on the pavement?" Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs and of utmost importance in this, the biggest dairy state in the union, the cows are giving evaporated milk. Okay, enough of the weather report, now on to other items.

The Supreme Website has been motoring along fairly smoothly, with of course the occasional sputters that are bound to occur. We have sections entitled About Us, Alumni Association, Bethel Locator, DMI Jewelry, HIKE Charity, How Do I Join, JDI Book Club, Leadership Training, Our Leaders, Promotion, Scholarships, Receptions, SNE Online, Supreme Session Info, World Youth Foundation, and Website Guidelines. Many of these sections also contain sub-sections such as pages about the SGC, Supreme Bethel, Miss International, The Board of Trustees, and of course the SNE-Online is a world unto itself.

With the help of Susan Goolsby and the many folks from various jurisdictions around the world, we are more up-to-date than we ever have been. Various committees have been taking advantage of this marvelous outlet to post their information, as well as the results of their labors. In particular this year the Supreme Librarian, Jackie Cutting, has created the JDI Book Club, which features reading recommendations for girls in various age groups. Actually, I got news for ya', it’s not just for the girls. I have used the recommendations to add to my own reading list, so adults, pay attention, this really is a great idea. Also, our Promotion Committee, headed up by Sue Cadis, have posted the Net Two and Spirit Award information, and the results for these two great activities are now posted on the website. At this point I must send an apology to Shelly Cole, the developer of the great Go Jobie Program. She apparently sent the program to me to post just after last year’s Supreme Session, but unfortunately I never received it. About 4 weeks ago she contacted me and wondered where it was. I told her I never received it, so she was kind enough to send it to me again. However, during the flurry of posting the new information, it got lost in the shuffle, but is now posted for all to download. I apologize for the delay, but I must also add this. If any of you out there send me some info to post, and it isn’t up within a week or so, please don’t wait 11 months to say, “Hey dummy, where’s that stuff I sent you to put on the web.” Chances are that if it isn’t posted within a week, and if I have not responded to your e-mail, I either did not receive it, or for some reason there was something wrong with the send that I am trying to correct before posting.

The website will only be as up-to-date as the material I am sent to post. Committee Chairs, please don’t assume that I receive all of the information you produce, especially if you do not send it to me in electronic form for posting. While I sometimes receive the paper copies of some of your material, then I either have to re-create the item from scratch, which takes a great deal of time, or I have to scan the material, which takes some time and leads to a much larger file for downloading. So please, if you want your material on the website, please send it to me via electronic means. It would also be a good idea to send a copy to the website liaison of the Board of Trustees just to make sure there is nothing there that shouldn’t be posted. While I can usually catch this type of thing, two sets of eyes are better than one, or in the case of this year, between this year’s web liaison Ken Bastien and me, together we have about one good set of eyes, especially since I have managed to lose my glasses this week. I know that Ken is going off of the Board this year, and I for one will miss him. He never got beside himself, and his suggestions were usually on the mark. When he didn’t understand something, he would ask, and my answers usually were to the point enough where he was satisfied. He was a wonderful web liaison.

As with the committee people, the same goes with updates from the various jurisdictions for their pages on the Bethel Locator. Please send any changes in Bethel information such as meeting times, dates, places, etc. to me to change, and don’t forget to inform the Executive Manager Susan Goolsby as well. In fact, when you send changes to her, she will then forward it to me to change on the web, so then I often have two reminders of the changes, which is always a good thing. Also, please send updated information about the dates and locations of your Grand Sessions, Grand Bethel Sessions, and Pageant for posting.

I must also send a special thank you to Marlene Frakes, the SNE Online Coordinator. She had done a marvelous job with that part of the website, and it takes a great deal off of my shoulders for her to do this. As with the rest of the website, if you want something on the SNE-Online, please send it to her for posting. Also, don’t forget that if you want pictures posted, please use the release form available as a download on the website guidelines section. Just follow the instructions and send it in and that will be great. We would also remind the webmasters of the various jurisdictional and Bethel websites around the world to read the Copyright reminder. That will help guide you as to what type of information you can place on your websites. A special reminder to the many Job’s Daughters out there who are on the Internet: Sometimes it is easy to let your zeal for the Organization lead you into online arguments with those who, through ignorance and spite, ridicule the Order. In some of those cases bits and pieces of the ritual have been posted to try to show what we are and what we are not. While this might seem to be a good way to demonstrate that we have nothing to hide, remember that the ritual is copyrighted, and should not be reprinted in any form without permission.

Supreme Guardian and Associate Supreme Guardian, and members of the Board, I thank you for allowing me to be the Webmaster for this great Order. It is an honor and a pleasure to help spread the word to others about Job’s Daughters and to help disseminate our own information to our members, Jobies-To-Bee, and adult co-workers. With your help and guidance, and with the assistance of everyone out there who sends their input, (especially my wife, Toni, who lets me take credit for many of her good ideas) the Job’s Daughters International Website will continue to be a source of information and entertainment for all to enjoy.

Ashley Underwood, Webmaster


I have worked with the IOJD Webmaster in setting up the SNE On-line. We had a little trouble when we changed ISP but were able to rebuild most of the information. Most of the committee chairman from 2003-4 gave me their contest information to post as well as the Session Newsletter chair. I was able to get this posted as soon as I returned from Casper. I gave instructions to the new MIJD & SBHQ as well as the SG & ASG regarding turning in info for the SNE. I have the same instructions ready for the 2005-6 Team. I have contacted the 2005 Session Newsletter Chair as well as the 2004-5 Contest Chairs to get their information to post.

From the beginning, I had been receiving the SNE information to post through my personal AOL account. Although I had changed to DSL over a year ago, I continued to keep the AOL account for the JDISNE. I was glad when we changed ISP for the website, they were able to set up an e-mail account thru the ISP and I could go ahead and drop my AOL. This e-mail account has been changed on the website but if you had book marked the old one, you might have had your e-mail returned. The e-mail

I’ve been a little disappointed that I haven’t received more articles from the Bethels but thought it might be due to the change of address. HIKE is real good about sending in their presentations. I have placed an article in the session newsletter about submitting articles and I hope things will start picking up. A copy of that news article is attached.

I have everything ready to begin the 2005-6 SGC year.

Thank you to Ashley Underwood, IOJD Webmaster, for all of his help.

That's about it for right now.  I'll be back later this evening following the Supreme Bethel Installation.  TTYL

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hey folks, it was a very fun evening.  Mom Toni and I went to the Past Supreme's Dinner and it was a very fun event.  Mom Shirley Bryngelson and I were Initiated into the Past Supremes Club and let me tell you, they really put us through our paces.  Still, we were able to meet the challenge and both of us are now full-fledged members of the Past Supremes Club.

Following the dinner, I went to the Supreme Bethel Installation.  Just prior to the Installation, they announced the Ritual awards, and Missouri did pretty well.  Emily Schonaerts won 1st Place award for 3rd Messenger, Junior Division and Lauren Mack won 1st Place for 5th Messenger, Intermediate Division.  Also, our good friends from Wyoming won the Team Competition, and they went wild when that was announced.

The Installation got underway and Megan Garaday of Bethel #5 in Las Vegas, Nevada was Installed as Supreme Bethel Honored Queen.  That was really neat.  I was also proud to see our three Missouri Girls Installed as Supreme Bethel Representatives.  The Installation went off without a hitch, and was a very beautiful event.

Afterwards we all went back to the hotel, ate pizza and talked until the wee hour of the morning.  An amazing thing happened in the lobby while were were there.  All the girls started singing Nearer My God To Thee.  The sound filled the entire hotel and echoed around the building.  It was so beautiful that I shed more than a few tears.  Afterwards the entire place erupted is applause and shouts of approval.  It was unbelievable.  To see a movie of part of the singing, Click Here.  Mind you that the hotel lights were dimmed at that point, so the visual quality is not very good, but you can hear the singing of the last verse as well as the reactions following the song.  Also, it is a very large file so it might take some time to download.  You will need quicktime to view the movie.

After all of the singing, pizza eating and talking,  we all went back to our rooms, and now it's almost 3:00 a.m., so I had better get to bed.  Before I do, though, I need to send some shout-outs to Dad Albert Beal, GIG-MO, Mom Kerrie Hearne, PBG #48 and Shannon Snell, PSBHQ, for sending us their very nice e-mails about the Supreme Diaries.  I am so glad that folks from around the Job's Daughter world are enjoying reading the diary, and are hopefully getting a bit of the flavor of Supreme Session.  Thanks for taking the time to drop us a note.

Okay, I am getting to where I can't focus my eyes very well, so I guess I had really better get to bed.  I'll talk to you later.  Bye for now.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Saturday, August 6

2005-2005 Supreme Officers and Escorts

The 2005-2006 Supreme Team
Good morning everybody.  I am sending special shout-outs to Tori Allen, PGBHQ of Indiana, Diane Lynch, GBJP, and Eva Pelak, PBG #12, for their nice e-mails about the Supreme Diary.  Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate it.

Mom Toni is off to the Pacific Coast today with some of the other members of the Missouri Delegation while another group is heading for the Hearst Castle.  I am here at the hotel getting ready for the rest of the day.  I have the Alumni Luncheon at noon, and I am providing the entertainment.  I don't know how entertaining it will be, but what the heck, I'll give it the old college try anyway.  Following that is the rehearsal for the SGC Installation.  I have the honor of being the Associate Installing Officer.  Hopefully I won't mess it up too much.  Anyway, that is the agenda for today.  I will be checking back in later with a couple of pictures and another update.  Thanks for reading, I'll TTYL.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hey there folks.  Well, it's the end of a long day, and I am just sort of sitting back and thinking about the day's activities.  The Alumni Luncheon was a lot of fun.  There was a good group of people and I was honored to be the entertainment for the luncheon.  I began by leading a brief discussion about what makes you a Jobie.  Then I segued into a take of on the "You might be a redneck" joke by Jeff Foxworthy by giving some funny examples of Jobie life and then saying, "You might be a Jobie."  Then I led the crowd in a song honoring the 85th Anniversary entitled the Jobie Bunch, which was sung to the tune of The Brady Bunch.  Several people have asked me to put the program on the web, so here it is:

If you’ve ever traveled 3000 miles just to shop in the same Wal-Mart you’d find at home, you might be a Jobie

If you’ve ever shopped your way across your home state or province, you might be a Jobie

If you think the International Master Councilor of DeMolay is just a cute as Brad Pitt and much more important than the mayor, you might be a Jobie.

If you ever told a Mason that being an Associate Bethel Guardian will only take two nights a month, you might be a Jobie

If you are the guy who believed that Jobie, it’s not you might be, but you ARE an Associate Bethel Guardian

If you know as much about your friends in Queensland as you do your friends next door, you might be a Jobie

If you know that a 7:00 starting time is sort of like suggested retail, just an imaginary number, you might be a Jobie

If you know that regardless of whatever time zone you live in, the world really runs on Jobie Standard Time, you might be a Jobie.

If your parents have as much fun at fun activities as you do, you might be a Jobie.

If you’ve ever bid 125 dollars on a 5 dollar piņata at a HIKE Auction, you might be a Grand Guardian

If you think sleep is only for the weak, you might be a Jobie

If you know every fast food restaurant from Virginia to California, you might be a Jobie

If you can spell Elephaz, Zophar and Bildad, you might be a Jobie

If you warn that Jobie who knows how to spell those words not to write them down because they are copyrighted, you might be a member of the Board of Trustees

If someone asks you what you would be if you weren't a Job’s Daughter and you say "I'd be ashamed!!!" You might be a Jobie

If you and 100 other girls sing Nearer My God To Thee at 11:00 at night in the hotel lobby, you might be a Jobie

If you shed a tear while listing to them sing, you might be a Past Associate Supreme Guardian

If you think that covered dish is one of the 4 main food groups, you might be a Jobie Parent

If you think anyone who says "casserole" instead of "covered dish" is trying to be snooty, you might be a Jobie Parent

If your Dad's sun tan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead and the middle of his biceps, you might be a Jobie.

If you think that Dad Thurman is the height of hipness, then I'm not really sure just what you are.

If you calculate the driving time from home to Supreme Session in the number of rest stops you will have to make, you might be a Jobie Parent

If you think a formal opening isn't legitimate unless it's at least three hours long, you might be a Supreme Guardian

And finally, If you’ve every been forced to sing a parody of the Brady Bunch entitled the Jobie Bunch, then you might be Alumni Members

Oh, didn’t I tell you, that’s exactly what we are going to do, and I need all of you to sing loud and strong if this is going to work. (I taught them the chorus for the sing-along, and then I sang the verses and everybody joined in on the Chorus)

Here’s the story, of a gal named Ethel, who was living in Nebraska long ago
She was single, a little lonely, she needed her a beau

Here’s the story, of a guy name William, who was also in Nebraska, Omaha
He’s a doctor, quite a fellow, and looking for a squaw

Then the one day when this lady met this fellow,
and they knew that it was much more than a hunch
That these two, would raise a family,
That’s the way we became the Jobie Bunch
The Jobie Bunch, the Jobie Bunch, that’s the way we became the Jobie Bunch

Well the couple, they had some children, two lovely girls named Ethel and Ruth
And their Mother, knew they needed, a group to teach them truths

So she founded, a brand new order, based upon the Bible book of Job
Just like in, the days of old times, The girls wore Grecian Robes

And that one day when the whole thing came together,
1920 was the year it came to us
The group they founded, was called Job’s Daughters,
That’s the way we became the Jobie Bunch
The Jobie Bunch, the Jobie Bunch, that’s the way we became the Jobie Bunch

Now flash forward, to the current year now, The dream has reached the ripe old age of 85
And the Order, that Mother Mick founded, is very much a live
And the lessons, that it teaches, such as patience faith and then of course reward
Are important, now more than ever, for that we thank the Lord

So we’re happy that dear Ethel married William
And Job’s Daughters was the offspring thanks so much
And we’re proud, to tell the world now,
We’re alumni members of the Jobie Bunch
The Jobie Bunch, the Jobie Bunch, that’s the way we became the Jobie Bunch

We had a lot of fun, and everybody was very energetic when they joined in the singing.

Following the luncheon, it was time to head over the the practice for the Supreme Council Installation.  Mom Marilee Smiley was in charge of the practice and things ran very well.  We got through the practice without any difficulty and then broke for the rest of the afternoon.

We had a couple of hours before we were due back for pictures, so I went back to the room to watch a little TV and then change into my tux.  The two hours flew by quickly and then I found myself back at the ballroom smiling and trying to look distinguished for the photographer.  Well, I tried, but I'm only gonna look so distinguished and then I just look silly.

Mom Toni and her crew had returned to the hotel from the coast about 7:00 p.m.  She then packed most of the luggage for our return trip tomorrow and then came down to the Installation.  The ceremony got underway about 7:30.  The East was decorated with Sunflowers and some other vegetation (I am not nearly an expert on flowers, so I really don't know what all of them were).  Mom Marilee Smiley was the Installing Officer and I was the Associate Installing Officer.  I had to tell the audience that I really wished that I could have been anyplace but in that spot as the Associate Installing Officer.  Not because I didn't enjoy the experience or like any of the people I was Installing, but because Dad Bill Dinkmeyer was supposed to have been in that slot, but due to his untimely passing, Dad Smiley asked me to be his replacement.  Although I was filling the spot, I could never replace Dad Dinkmeyer because he was irreplaceable.  As many of you know, Dad Dinkmeyer lived in Kansas City, which is known as the Heart of America.  There is a saying that, "All roads lead to the Heart of America."  Well Dad Dinkmeyer's heart led him to Job's Daughters, and he will always live in our hearts.

The Installation went well, and we installed our new Supreme Guardian, Louise Windbiel of British Columbia, and our new Associate Supreme Guardian, Ken Smiley of Michigan, as well as the entire corps of officers.  Our own Ginny Goede was installed as the Supreme Librarian, and one of our good friends from Wyoming, Kathy Winders, was Installed as one of the Supreme Messengers.  It was a very lovely ceremony and everyone had a wonderful time.

Afterwards we congratulated the new officers, and then came back to the room.  I caught up on my e-mail and then sat down to write this update.  It was quite a day.

I am sending some shout-outs to Nancy Spraker, PHQ #97-IL, Ron Zimmer, GDoE #19-MO and Nelda Kaeser, PGG-MO, for their nice notes regarding the Supreme Diary.  I appreciate all of the encouragement.  Thanks a bunch.  Dad Zimmer also sends his own shout-outs to the entire Missouri Delegation here at Supreme Session.  I also have a shout-out for Chantay Nieber, PHQ #96-CA.  She has an acting career going on and she is currently a stand-in for one of the actresses on Related on the WB Network.  She is also compiling material about famous Job's Daughters.  Way to go Chantay.

Well, technically the session is over.  Tomorrow is a travel day.  I will check in in the morning, and then once more when I get home.  I will also gather my thoughts about the session and try to give an overall impressing of the weeks activities.  That's about it for now.  I'll talk to you later.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

Sunday, August 7

Ready to head for home:
8/7/2005 10:00 a.m. Fresno

Home at last:
8/8/2005 3:00 a.m. St. Louis

Okay folks, it about 9:00 a.m. here and we are getting ready to hit the road, although we really don't leave California until later this afternoon.  It has been a fun week and while I will miss all of my friends that I only get to see once a year at Supreme Session, it will be good to get back home.  I will check in either tonight (probably not) or tomorrow (more likely) with a final wrap-up.  I'll TTYL.  In the meantime, Colleen Vezeau weighs in again with some info about Art, the bellman at our hotel:

Donna, Lon, Ginny, John and myself along with 2 other people left the hotel at 6:00 a.m. on the way to the airport, and we were talking with Art the Bellman. Art was not stepping on toes or anything, but he made a comment of how well behaved ALL of our Job's girls were. He enjoyed working with our group and seeing how polite our girls, not just Missouri girls, the whole Supreme Girls were well mannered. We all talked to him about joining Masons and he made a comment that Cubby was wanting to talk to him. Art may join, but not sure. He has a teenage son who we informed him that he could join DeMolay. Art is hoping we come back again to enjoy Job's Daughter convention.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, my Supreme Session Travel Curse returned in rare form for the trip back to St. Louis.  It all started out innocently enough.  After checking out of the hotel, we said our goodbyes to Mom and Dad Smiley and their traveling companions, as well as numerous other friends from around the Job's Daughters World.  Then we went off in search of a restaurant to have breakfast/lunch.  One of our travel rules (not etched in stone, but one we try to adhere to) is to find restaurants that we do not have in St. Louis.  I mean, why travel thousands of miles just to eat in a McDonalds or Taco Bell?  As a last resort, that's fine, but otherwise, search for something new and different.  Anyway, we were lucky and found the Fresno Breakfast House, were we had a delicious breakfast that made the search worthwhile.

Then it was over to the airport to return our rental car and to check in.  There were lots of Jobie-Folk at the airport, including good friends from Wyoming, Pennsylvania, Illinois and of course, Missouri.  Going back on the same plane that Mom Toni and I were on were Marlene Frakes, Doc Howe, Sara Glover and Jan Glover.  In addition, there were Jobies from several other delegations on the plane.  Since we were at the airport in plenty of time, we sat with Mom Shirley Bryngelson for quite a while and reminisced about last year as well as the just completed session.  Then we went to our gate and sat with the Missouri Delegation to wait for our 2:30 p.m. flight.  That's when it all started.  I received a call on my cell phone.  It was American Airlines.  I am an American Airlines AAvantage Club Member, and they will call members with updates regarding travel plans.  I was told that our flight was not leaving at 3:30 instead of 2:30.  I actually receive 4 calls to this effect (they will call you twice for each ticket you have for that particular trip).  When I informed my traveling companions of this, they were hesitant to believe me, but when Mom Frakes went to the travel desk to check, sure enough, they had just received the call, so I actually knew before the airline people did.  By the time Mom Frakes returned to the waiting area, I had received another 4 calls telling me that our flight was now 3:40 p.m.  About 10 minutes later, they made an announcement to that effect over the p.a. system.  Of course by that point, I had received yet another 4 calls telling my that our plane would now be departing at 3:50 p.m.  Once again, about 10 minutes later they made an announcement to that effect.  It seems that the cause for the delays had been bad weather in our midpoint destination, Dallas.

We finally boarded the plane and got underway around 4:00.   That leg of the trip was fairly uneventful, and we landed in Dallas ready to make the dash to get to our connecting flights once they let us off the plane.  However, the plane must have been tired because we stayed out on the runway for quite a bit.  They also made announcements that we would be catching later flights (even though we had actually landed in time to have caught our original connections).  We finally made it to the gate and departed the plane.  Our flight was now to leave at 10:30 p.m., so we had time to get a bite to eat.  In the meantime I received another 4 calls that the plane was now delayed until 11:30, although I didn't know that I had received the calls because I still had my phone off from the first leg of the trip.  However, when Mom Toni and I saw several folks dashing away from our gate, we thought that possibly our departure gate had changed, so we went to one of the "convenient" TV screens that displayed the flight information.  I guess that placing these screens every 5 miles is convenient . . . for a horse.  Anyway, we saw that our flight was now scheduled for 11:30, but that there was a 10:15 flight to St. Louis as well.  When we inquired about getting on that flight, the airline people told us that even if we could get on that flight, our luggage would still be on the 11:30 flight.  We figured that we would just stay on our scheduled plane in order to get to St. Louis at the same time as our luggage.  Then, of course, they made an announcement that the flight would now be delayed until 11:50.  Well, we finally boarded the plane, but we sat and sat.  The pilot said it was because we were waiting on some luggage from an international flight.  He said that they weren't exactly sure where the baggage was, and that it could actually be on the plane.  Hmm, that's when I started to get a bit suspicious.  He went on to praise the baggage handlers, and the hard work that they did.  While I don't doubt this, I did look over at the plane next to us and saw that there, in the baggage compartment, was a baggage handler . . . taking a nap.  I tried to get a picture, but it was too far away and too dark.  Anyway, about 1:00 a.m. a couple of people boarded the plane and we then taxied onto the runway.  I guess the baggage they were waiting on was people.

We flew on to St. Louis and landed around 2:20 a.m. and made our way to the baggage claim and what did we discover . . . No, it's probably not what you are thinking.  Our bags were not missing.  In fact, they were there waiting for us.  I thought, "Wow, the St. Louis baggage handlers really have their stuff together tonight, our bags beat us from the plane to the pick-up."  Then I wondered why the baggage was just sitting on the carousel, but it wasn't moving.  Then it hit me, our bags were waiting for us because they were on the 10:15 flight, and they had been waiting for us for 3 hours.  Yes, the plane that they could have put us on, but told us our luggage would be coming on the later plane.  Our luggage went on that plane and we followed on the later plane.  Go figure.

Anyway, my daughter, Kim picked us up at the airport and we got home about 3:00 a.m.  While the trip home was frustrating, it couldn't dampen the warm memories of the just completed session.  We had a wonderful time and came away re-charged and full of Job's Daughter vim and vigor.  The chance to mingle with friends, both old and new, to see the spirit and enthusiasm of the the Jobies from around the world, and especially to be present on the evening where the entire hotel was filled with the voices of Job's Daughters from across the globe singing Nearer My God To Thee, gave us memories that will last a lifetime.  To the California and Oregon people, congratulations on a fine Session.  To Louise Windbiel, Ken Smiley, and the British Columbia and Michigan delegations,  good luck in the coming year.  You will do a great job, and we look forward to Supreme Session in Vancouver in 2006.  We'll BC'ing you in BC.

To return to the Session Diary Table of Contents, click jobyclik.gif (1339 bytes)

byzan.gif (1051 bytes)

mobutton.gif (3090 bytes)
Session Diaries Portal